Bactrim is used to treat ear infections, urinary tract infections, bronchitis, traveler’s diarrhea, and Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Bactrim is an antibiotic combination containing a sulfonamide antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Generic name is Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim tablets (sul-fa-meth-OX-a-zole/trye-METH-oh-prim), brand name is Bactrim.
Why is Bactrim prescribed?
Bactrim, ( Co-trimoxazole ) an antibacterial combination drug, is prescribed for the treatment of certain urinary tract infections, severe middle ear infections in children, long-lasting or frequently recurring bronchitis in adults that has increased in seriousness, inflammation of the intestine due to a severe bacterial infection, and travelers’ diarrhea in adults. Bactrim is also prescribed for the treatment of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, and for prevention of this type of pneumonia in people with weakened immune systems.
Most important fact about Bactrim
Sulfamethoxazole, an ingredient in Bactrim, is one of a group of drugs called sulfonamides, which prevent the growth of bacteria in the body. Rare but sometimes fatal reactions have occurred with use of sulfonamides. These reactions include Stevens-Johnson syndrome (severe eruptions around the mouth, anus, or eyes), progressive disintegration of the outer layer of the skin, sudden and severe liver damage, a severe blood disorder (agranulocytosis), and a lack of red and white blood cells because of a bone marrow disorder.
How long Bactrim may take to work
Preventive therapy is ongoing. Preventive treatment means you keep taking the drug to prevent an infection so that you don’t become ill. Treatment for active infection is 2 to 3 weeks. Bactrim may take five to seven days to produce clinical improvement.
Use Bactrim as directed by your doctor.
- Take Bactrim by mouth with or without food.
- Bactrim works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Take Bactrim with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Bactrim is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Bactrim for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Bactrim, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bactrim.
Store Bactrim at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep in a tight, light-resistant container. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bactrim out of the reach of children and away from pets.